Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All The Lovely Side Effects

I know I'm late on updating. Prozac is going well. My moods are much better now. Not wildly irrational and uncontrollable anymore, which is very good progress. I still have emotions, even sad ones. They're just easier to handle now, and the lows aren't quite as low. I'm very happy with this. Also I'm not so snappish and angry.

But the side effects. Oh, the side effects! I've had a few nights of insomnia, but I was already having that much more frequently before I started the meds, so I won't count that one. Mostly it just makes me sleepy at night, which is something I like. I get headaches, but I was already having those too. I think the most noticeable ones are decrease in sexual ability (yes, ability), decreased appetite, and I think all the diarrhea is also from the Prozac. I'm not really sure though because it only happens every few days and it always seems to be days I have cereal and milk for breakfast. Milk and I have never had the greatest relationship anyways, so who knows. If it persists, I will speak with my doctor.

As for the sexual ability, I've just noticed that I'm a lot less uhhh, sensitive...if you know what I mean. I knew that was a possibility but was hoping it wouldn't happen. A friend told me that after a few weeks that side effect wore off for her, so I'm hopeful. I have a lot of pain with intercourse, so I'd really like to keep the pleasure part to make up for it.

I have my ultrasound appointment tomorrow, and an appointment with my doctor directly following. Hoping he'll go over the ultrasound report right then and there. I'm still unsure as to whether he will prescribe a med for my high prolactin or not. Just ready for some concrete answers already.

Other aspects of my life are going ok. Deleted about 300 people from Facebook the other day. Very liberating. I had to though. For some reason, people just like being assholes and I'm tired of having to stick up for myself all the time. I don't agree with being passive when someone pushes me around, even online. Especially when they don't have full knowledge of the situation or decision they're unfairly criticizing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: at this point in my life I only have room for pleasant and supportive friends and family. I refuse to surround myself with those who just bring me down. I'm down enough on my own, I don't need help getting there.

Anyways, I've basically just been busy being an adult. Doing laundry and paying bills and working 35 or so hours a week and other responsible adultish things. Same as always. Only difference is that I don't mind being alive so much anymore, and that's good. Being alive is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad the meds are working. Minus the less than wonderful side effects.

    As for the deleting facebook 'friends'. GOOD. FOR. YOU! If people aren't going to be awesome and supportive, screw them!

    It blows my mind that there are people of grown up age who don't act very grown up. Good for you on actually being a grown up. And congrats on finding that being alive is a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are looking up! Definitely talk to your dr about the side effects. There are lots of different anti-depressants, and sometimes you have to try one or two to find the one that works best for you! The first one I was on made me feel ill all the time, so we switch and the second one was so much better!

    @justpureness

    ReplyDelete