Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NIAW: Be Aware, Be Very Aware.

Hey guess what? It's National Infertility Awareness Week! I wish I had something amazing to talk about, or some awesome myth to bust, but I suck at life, so I don't. At least not for now anyways.

But I can tell you that in 2009, infertility was classified as a disease. Don't believe me? Let's check out the definition of disease.

dis·ease/diˈzēz/
Noun: A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury.

Well there you have it. A disorder of a structure or function in a human. In infertiles, that would be our reproductive system. There are tons of causes of infertility, in fact way too many to list here. You can go to Attain Fertility to see just a few.

I challenge all of my readers to do something this week:
  • Fertiles/Those not trying to conceive/Family of Infertiles: Check out these resources from Resolve.org to learn how to support the infertiles in your life.
  • Infertiles: Speak up! It's time to be heard! Help us help ourselves by advocating for the recognition, respect, and funding we deserve!
  • Those trying to conceive: For those of you trying to conceive (especially those having trouble), or even those of you who aren't, but think you have a problem, I URGE you to seek medical attention. Lots of things can be helped if caught early, and it may also give you peace of mind. You won't regret it!
  • A little something for EVERYONE!: Go check out Resolve.org's Bust An Infertility Myth submissions! They're all written by amazing bloggers. Who knows, you might even learn something!

No comments:

Post a Comment