Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Obsessive.

Ok, so the Infertile Community is in an uproar today. Apparently in "honor" of National Infertility Awareness week, which is later this month, PETA is giving away a free vasectomy to a man who gets his pet spayed or neutered. I will agree that this is poor judgement on PETA's part. But it's literally all I've been reading about today. Some are even saying that it's set us back from the progress we've made as a community in bringing infertility to light and gaining support from others.

But how far have we really come? Tons of infertiles blog anonymously, tweet anonymously. Hell, they don't even talk to their friends or family about infertility. How is that progress? How can we spread the word if we can't bring ourselves to be open about it? Keeping quiet and being afraid is not helping our cause. And now everyone is angry over this PETA thing, and I'm sure to people outside of our little community it seems very sudden. How is it fair to be so vocal and angry about something if we can't even tell people why? I'll tell you: it's not.

Maybe if we were more open about our issues and feelings towards them, then PETA would've known how awful and mean this giveaway would appear to some of us. People will always be stepping on our toes if we don't muster up the courage to be vocal. Every little bit helps. The more people are exposed to an issue, the more they become educated about it. So let's break out of our little shells and get to educating so things like this will stop happening.

Before anyone leaves any preachy comments, I'd like to say that I'm very open with everyone in my life about my infertility and feelings. Personally, I don't really care much about the PETA thing. It's probably just a PR stunt and those who are being obsessively angry about it are just feeding their fires and giving them exactly what they want. In fact, just this blog will get them google searches and subsequent pageviews. I'm not saying the best way to solve this problem is to ignore it, but there comes a point when things just get a bit repetitive. Nobody enjoys when people repeat themselves all day.

----------

In other, lighter news, I've given up calorie counting. I was getting too obsessive and it was starting to control me. I'll still be good and eat like I should and work out and stuff, but I'm putting My Fitness Pal on the back burner for a little while. For anyone reading this, it truly is a great program that helped me lose over ten pounds, I can just get a little Type A at times.

Today was an amazing day off from work. I managed to feel content and relaxed all day, even though I also cleaned the whole apartment. I don't know how that works, but I won't argue with it.

We've been watching a ridiculous amount of anime lately. I blame Netflix Instant for getting an all anime section. First we watched Sekirei, which had a great plot and storyline, but the girls all had stupidly big breasts. Now we're watching Corpse Princess: Shikabane Hime. We're halfway through the second season, which is also the last season. It's pretty dang good. Also slightly creepy. I also started a show today called Black Butler. It's different, but I think if I watch a couple more episodes I'll really get into it.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'll see y'all later.

1 comment:

  1. I struggled with whether to write my own blog post about this as well, since it takes a lot to offend me and yes I was offended.

    However, I'm not quiet about my infertility. In the last year I've been quite vocal about how my husband and I are struggling to have children and will need ART to conceive.

    I think what bothers me most about the PETA thing is that they are doing it to "honor" infertility week, when in retrospect it looks as though they are making a joke out of it.

    The question I wonder is: who at PETA thought this was a good idea? We all know that someone there probably wondered if it would piss off the infertile community. We may be anonymous (my anonymity is because I work for the community and have concerns about my job knowing I blog), but we aren't all that quiet when it comes to online endeavors. PETA knows full well we exist.

    I understand what you mean about people hiding and being fearful of their infertility, I was that way for a long time. I hope that this stunt by PETA brings more people out of the woodwork and gets people talking.

    ReplyDelete