Friday, April 15, 2011

NIAW 4/24 - 4/30; Here's Our Story

I've been thinking about writing this post for almost two weeks now. I still haven't really come up with how I want to put all of it together, or where I should even begin. I guess the beginning would be the best place, wouldn't it?

Let me start off with our ages. I'll be 22 this July, and my husband Keith will be 29 next month. Before you start shaking your heads in disapproval at how young I am or the age difference, I just want to say that marrying Keith was the best decision I have ever made. I've never done anything that feels as right as this does. We've known each other probably since I was about five. My mom and his mom, and my step dad and his step dad, were best friends for years. They still would be if my parents were still around. Apart from a few minor snags here or there, integrating into each other's families was pretty easy since we all already knew each other. This year will make three years together as a couple, and our one year wedding anniversary is this June.

Now that the introductions are over, we can skip to the good part: The baby making, or lack thereof. We moved into our apartment in June of 09. At this point in time, we stop trying to prevent a pregnancy. We figured we could just go with the flow. Relax and let things happen like everyone else. After four months we decided to get a little more serious about it. In October I started charting my basal body temperature to help detect ovulation. That way we could time things a little better and hopefully get lucky. A few cycles went by and I noticed that I wasn't always ovulating. In fact, ovulation seemed pretty rare for me. I didn't understand why. I was healthy. I took my vitamins and did everything right, like a good girl.

Things with my body started getting crazier and crazier. I gained weight and was having my period at shorter intervals and for longer stretches at a time. It got to the point where I had put on thirty pounds in just a few short months, and I was having my period constantly, every single day. I consulted three doctors. They all suggested birth control. It's not what I wanted. I wanted tests. I wanted answers. When the third doctor suggested it, I gave in. Anything to stop this endless cycle. I took the birth control for about three months, with little result. I was still bleeding. It was time to see a new doctor.

By this time, it was May of 2010, and I meant business. I consulted a new doctor two hours away from my home. I loved her immediately, although I was slightly put off when she suggested a different type of birth control pills. Again, I gave in. I thought maybe switching it up would help. She also ordered blood work and a transvaginal ultrasound. It was then that she started to suspect that I had PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome). Part of me was glad to have a diagnosis, but part of me was crushed. I knew from research and forums that with this diagnosis, things probably wouldn't get any easier.

A few months went by, some ovulatory, but mostly not. In November of 2010, after trying several different treatments for my endless period, we decided to move forward with a D&C. We hoped to clear things out and start fresh, and run some tests on the samples that were removed. After the D&C, my period stopped for about a week, then returned. It lasted 8 days. I was so glad to feel normal! The results of the tissue sampling came back. They showed that my uterine lining had poor hormone concentrations/quality, and also a diagnosis of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. Again, not things I was altogether happy to hear, but we were at least glad for some answers.

Since the period right after the D&C seemed pretty normal, we put any further treatment on hold. A few weeks went by, but my period did not return. I waited from November of 2010 to February of this year to see a new doctor, since mine moved out of state. I was reluctant to find someone new. Not only was I hoping for a miracle pregnancy, but I was just so tired of people poking and prodding my not-so-private-anymore areas.

I got with my current doctor in the beginning of February. He confirmed my PCOS diagnosis and prescribed a drug called Provera to help start my period. I took it as directed. I waited and waited. Twenty days went by and still no period. I went back to the doctor. He prescribed Premarin to build up my uterine lining, followed again with Provera to bring on my period. Here I am in April, almost a month after finishing the meds, and still without a period. I go back in soon for more blood work and another ultrasound. It's time to determine if there are other factors causing this. At this point, I don't think I'll be crushed unless it's something totally untreatable. I have high hopes that we'll get this figured out and be able to bring a beautiful child into this world.

I know that our journey hasn't been as difficult as some. I know we haven't been through the extensive treatments that a lot of people have. But that doesn't make it any easier. Infertility is hard for everyone involved, no matter what the situation is. You watch friends and family have baby after baby. You see endless announcements and pictures everywhere you turn. I think the saddest part is that people don't know what to say to those struggling with infertility, and feelings end up getting hurt. That's just one reason a lot of men and women choose to suffer in silence.

Yes, you read right. They CHOOSE silence. I believe that for a lot, silence is a choice made for many different reasons. Because of this, infertility is a subject on which the general populace is poorly educated. If you're one of my many infertile readers, this year in honor of National Infertility Awareness Week, it's time to stand up and be heard. Let's remove the stigma and get infertility the recognition and research it deserves! For those of you who are not part of the Infertile community, take the time to honor us by checking out sites like Resolve.org to learn how to support those of us who need you by our sides. There's no better time than now!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kris,
    Thank you for sharing your story and bringing light to this often dark subject matter. After reading this, I thought you might be interested in an NIAW effort called Share Hope. My hope is that this Infertility Awareness opportunity will raise support, provide education, and restore hope throughout the infertility community.

    http://bit.ly/gvFYbA

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're brave for telling your story! Most people would look at a 21 year old and say "Really?" But really, infertility happens to everyone. Stay strong and good luck!

    (also I think you used 2011 in a few spots here that should be 2010. it'll make it less confusing if you change them! ok, teacher hat off.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *facepalm* I'm such a goof! I think I fixed it though. Thank you so much for the comment!

    ReplyDelete