Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I Have a Rant

I have a rant, and while I feel guilty about it, I still need to get it out. Please don't judge me. This is hard.

My sister is driving me nuts. She's acting like it's a huge inconvenience to be here.

I know it's hard to adjust, but it's not any easier on me, especially since I feel like I'm doing everything. I don't mean taking care of the kids, although I am helping with that too. What I mean is that I'm doing all the cooking and all the cleaning. Cooking isn't such a big deal. It's the cleaning. They make a big mess. Natural for little kids like Jon. But if I ask Kerri to clean it up, she gets attitude. If I ask her to help with the dishes, she gets attitude. Today I asked her to put the clean dishes away and load the dirty ones into the dishwasher. She did it after protesting for a few minutes. She only did it after I got mad and told her that she isn't doing anything else around here.

And the food. She complains about every single thing I cook. Either it's nasty looking, she doesn't like it, or "why do we always have to eat something healthy?" I'm sorry. I was under the impression that we're the ones paying for the food. I though I was the one taking the time to prepare and cook the food, and clean up after dinner. I'm sorry that they're used to junk, but is that really what you want to raise your kids on? You want them to eat fast food or ramen noodles everyday? There is no nutritional value there.

Speaking of nutritional value: the milk. Kerri pumps these kids full of milk like nobody's business. That is not something I agree with for two reasons. Number one, it's insanely expensive. I bought two gallons yesterday. They've almost finished one completely because it's all she's been giving them all day, even though there's plenty of juice and water, which they drink just fine. I can't keep doing that. Number two, I believe cow's milk is for baby cows. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving kids milk now and then, but I don't think it should be a staple in a child's diet. It has been proven that kids get plenty of vitamin D from other sources. Cow's milk is supposed to bulk up small baby cows, and it does exactly the same thing in kids that drink tons of milk everyday. Plus it's full of hormones and other things that children just don't need.

She also yells at Jon and will just let the baby cry and cry. How is Jon going to learn not to yell if that's all she's doing at him? He won't. Plus it's annoying. I'm tired of it, and I'm sure my neighbors are too. And what is with the letting them cry? I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to cry, but they don't need to cry for over a couple minutes if it's something that can be easily taken care of by picking them up and comforting them for a minute. I don't know who, but someone taught her that babies need to cry it out. I don't think they do. Not for 5 or ten minutes straight anyways. And if I try to suggest something, she gets attitude because I'm trying to tell her how to raise her kids. I'm not exactly, I just think that maybe there's a better way to handle some situations and I'm trying to figure out why it's not done that way. But what do it know? I'm a poor dumb infertile who has no idea how to keep a child alive, let alone how to nurture and take care of one.

Clearly we have very different ideas of how a child should be raised. Obviously mine is wrong.

Again, don't judge me too harshly for this. This is a really tough situation to be in for several reasons. I'm stressed beyond my limits and so is Keith. This is the one place I can go to just let it all out, so if you leave any negative comments, I will hate you forever (probably) and delete it.

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard to have ANYONE else at your house...much less family with little ones. It's hard. I don't know how you are doing it. It's hard enough for me with just my teenaged siblings at mine. I think you need to sit down with her and establish guidelines. I don't know the whole story as to why she is there, but she should have some responsibility in the house. She needs to contribute since she can't financially. You are probably stuck though with how she's raising the kiddos...but at least you can get her to help out around the house and pull her own weight - especially since she is using YOUR food and milk and HOUSE! I'm here if you ever need to vent. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babies don't cry in my home.. lol I don't allow it. I have heard about the whole "they need to cry it out" and I strongly disagree.. A child needs to know they are loved and that they can come to you to be comforted and for protection.. I never let my children cry themselves to sleep or cry it out... I personally believe people who do that are just lazy and don't want to deal with their kids and having to comfort them! My ex's mother used to try and make me do that with Shayleigh.. Saying it was "good for her lungs" bullshit... lol My baby never cried her self to sleep and her lungs are just fine... she can yell louder theN anyone I know lol

    ReplyDelete