Thursday, August 19, 2010

Exciting News!

Sad as it seems, I know there are some people who read that title and thought "Oh yay! She's pregnant!" What idiots. No. No pregnancy. Read on for the day's good news.

I've almost decided on an insurance policy! It's between 2 Aetna policies, both cost the same each month, both have the same deductible. With one of them you can pay a copay for office visits and prescriptions. Once you reach the deductible, you pay 20%. With the other one, I'm assuming that you pay for everything, and then once you reach the deductible, everything is completely covered. Either way I'll be paying for a bunch of stuff. So I don't know. I think now is the time to force Keith to be involved. I can't do it all by myself. But even though I haven't decided, it's still really good that I've narrowed it down to the ones that are agreeable to me.

Did some Googling today and guess what? There's an RE (reproductive endocrinologist, for those of you who don't know) in Jasper! What are the odds of that? I figured I'd have to drive all the freakin way to Beaumont or Houston when it comes time. And how should I do this? Do I need a referral? Can I just go in and ask a couple of questions to see if I like her before I get involved? Would that cost me anything? I really don't want to get in with a doc that I don't like. That's part of the reason I'm willing to drive to Baytown all the time. I really like the doctor, even if she's slightly overworked and somewhat scatter brained because of it. Once she gets in the "Krissy zone" she's totally into it. Very attentive and looks at all the options. Either way, I feel like she's about to refer me to a specialist, so it may help if I have one in mind. I don't know. I really have no idea how all that works. Which brings me to my next point.

I'm reading a super book called "What To Do When You Can't Get Pregnant." I'm only 1.5 chapters in, but it's basically about everything that will go down at the doctor's office once you decide to go with fertility treatments. So far it's been very informative. I'm really looking forward to reading the whole thing. Usually I buy fertility books and read to about the third chapter. What a waste. I know. But this time I have high hopes and ambitions. I want to read this book, dammit!

I've also begun the process of setting up a budget for us. We're not super irresponsible, we just really enjoy buying useless junk and doing things that cost money. Our logic was that we needed to have a little fun before we had kids and started devoting everything to them. This was a good excuse for the first year and a half or so. We're now nearing the two year mark. I gotta tell ya, I really expected to have a newborn now or in the next few months. You all see that that has not happened, and probably won't for a while. I know. You're thinking "What do you mean a while? It could still happen unexpectedly/naturally/soon." Sweet of you. But I'm trying to be realistic here. If the hormones don't work for me (and I have a sinking feeling that they won't) then I will be referred to a specialist. From there we will do many, many tests. Most of which I will probably have to pay for all or part of. This means that we probably won't be able to do all of the various tests in one cycle like so many doctor's prefer. In fact, we'll really need to get my period to stop before I can even have what they consider a "cycle." And no. The one week that you have your period is not the "cycle." Your cycle lasts all month. Day 1 of your period is day 1 of the cycle. When you start your period the next time, that's a new cycle. "Cycle" refers to how your body goes through different stages each month with different hormones and such. To make a long story short, there's menstruation, then ovulation, then the luteal phase. And then you start over. For more information, GTS, or if you're REALLY interested, I suggest "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. That'll teach ya just about anything you need or want to know about your body's reproductive crap.

But I have strayed from my original point. Point is, we need a budget and we need it now. I've estimated that we pay around $2,300 a month in various bills. This is probably a high end estimate, but that's good. Rather estimate high to be on the safe side. So now it all comes down to me going over bank statements, receipts from bills, and receipts from the bank to figure out how much money we bring in total each month. Then I can figure out how much we can spend on things that don't matter, and how much I'll be able to save each month. I guess I can start going through all the paperwork tomorrow.

And here is where I shall leave you, for I have clothes to fold and tea to make and other housewifey things to do. Adieu, adieu. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Who is you're dr? Dr Gayle?? I was jw cause I know you said something before about you and ur sister having an appointment the same day and I know I seen her in Dr. Gayles office when I was pregnant with Mason! I have used her office with both my babies! Good Dr's and midwifes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the office I go to, but I use Dr. McElroy. I really like her, but she's already said that if the next thin we try doesn't help then I'll have to see a specialist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. follow me plz krissy P.S. it's brody

    ReplyDelete
  4. It won't let me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete